As I mentioned in a previous post, I have completed a fair amount of knitting projects in the last few months. It’s been a productive time in the textile department. I suppose that’s kind of the good thing about unemployment, it’s a great time to catch up on the projects in my queue and use up some of the yarn that has accumulated in my stash throughout the last few years.
And wow, have I ever accumulated quite a bit of yarn. About half of it was given to me, so I admit that this half wasn’t the half I was particularly excited about. It was mostly synthetic fibers from the 70s and odd blends of fibers I wouldn’t typically think of buying (corn fiber, anyone?). But the other half, oh that other half of purchases I made for myself to celebrate an event like my birthday or a promotion. Those are the luxurious blends of fibers like cashmere, silk, bamboo and qiviut; the sensuous callings of those lascivious textiles that beg to be used and molded into garments of pure opulence…
Ahem, where was I? Oh yes, here’s a little more of what I’ve been up to as of late.
From left to right we have:
1. Namaste pattern for a cabled (again with the cables!) yoga mat bag. This was a project born more out of necessity than anything else. My cheapo yoga mat kept getting underfoot because it lacked a proper home, and have you seen the prices of yoga mat bags? At least now it has a home in that knitted bag. Used some left over cotton yarn I once bought in bulk for dishcloths. It probably needs a carrying strap but I never use this mat outside of my room so transportation isn’t really an issue here.
2. The Seaway Hat from my West Knits Book Three pattern book. A bit of a failure there as the hat sits terribly on my head. The fabric came out too stiff and just peaks in the most awkward places. With any luck I’ll find someone who will look better in it than me. The yarn is a scratchy wool that was given to me, can’t say I would ever want to purchase it myself.
3. An experiment in double knitting, I guess it’s a potholder? I just wanted to try my hand at double knitting. I started with a more complicated pattern but that didn’t work out too well so I went with simple stripes. The yarn is a surprisingly soft wool/synthetic blend from Phildar.
4. Finally, I used the rest of that scratchy wool from the Seaway Hat and it worked much better as an experimentation in felting. I made three felted bowls. Not sure what they will be used for, or even if I’ll bother keeping them, but at least I got a better feel for felting now.
And that’s it for the stash busting projects. I’ve actually managed to diminish my stash quite a bit in the recent months, though there’s still a long way to go.
I leave you now with a glimpse of my current WIP.
It is squishy and warm and soft. I love this thing. Cannot wait to finish it, I hope there will be enough yarn to make a good sized cowl. We shall see!